Soha Ali is an amazing makeup and beauty Influencer with 107K followers, and she believes that creative work is also an extension of one’s personality in life.
Please tell us about yourself
I’m a makeup and beauty influencer and content creator. My content mostly focuses on fashion, lifestyle, beauty, and entertainment, with a slight bias toward Indian fashion tastes (which is understandable!).
I believe that one’s creative work is an extension of one’s personality and outlook on life, so I believe in engaging with my viewers on a community level and creating content that all of us would benefit from, whether in the form of entertainment, or useful information.
What are your favourite budget-friendly makeup picks?
1. Iba Photo Perfect HD Face Primer: I received it as part of a PR package from Iba Cosmetics a long time ago. It’s reasonably priced and delivers results that far outweigh its price.
2. Maybelline New York Hypercurl Mascara: This is probably the most widely available and dependable mascara in that price range, and it’s also waterproof, so it’s a win-win.
3. Swiss Beauty Ultimate Eye Shadow Palette: Eyeshadows are a never-ending experiment for anyone serious about makeup, so having a variety of affordable and high-quality palettes is essential.
4. Boi-ing High Coverage Cakeless Concealer by Benefit Cosmetics: If you don’t mind spending money on makeup, this is the product for you. It’s very easy to work with, making it suitable for beginners, and it blends very smoothly.
5. Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base: It’s a 2-in-1 primer and moisturizer, which is important because one of the main takeaways from my content is to never skip the moisturizer! It’s also loaded with vitamins and has a very supple and healthy feel to it.
6. Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation: It’s my go-to product for a no-makeup look, and because it has very sheer coverage and a fluid texture, it can be combined with a budget foundation as well.
7. Solasafe Sunscreen Gel: This is more of a medical product than a makeup item, but it’s the first thing I pack in my travel bag. This makes sense given that you’ll be facing the sun wherever you go!
8. Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder: Because you never know how long you’ll be out, I prefer to use this. There’s also the fact that it’s suitable for acne-prone skin.
9. Kay Beauty Color Corrector Stick: It has a permanent spot in my makeup bag, partly because it’s so portable, and partly because if my skin behaves strangely while traveling, it comes in handy for dealing with it.
What are your favorite makeup products from a particular brand?
When it comes to celebrity makeup brands, I believe Kay by Katrina is underappreciated. I’ve used their Créme Blush, Compact, and Corrector, and while it’s rare that a brand’s entire offering works for your makeup needs, these products have been pleasantly surprising.
What are the most disappointing makeup products you’ve ever tried?
I don’t believe in badmouthing brands for their products, but when it comes to calling a spade a spade, Lakme’s 9 to 5 Flawless Makeup Foundation was a letdown.
It was very cakey and left me looking quite strange, to the point where I just had to start over. I tried it as a cheap alternative, but that’s no excuse for the poor quality, especially since Maybelline New York Fit Me Foundation is in the same price range and far superior.
Revisit and show us some of your old makeup favourites?
I used to mostly work with mass-market brands when I was first learning about makeup many years ago, and I still have fond memories of using Maybelline New York products while trying out looks I saw on the Internet and Social Media.
Some of them, such as the Hypercurl Mascara, Fit Me Foundation, Instant Age Rewind Concealer, and Fit Me Powder, are still in my makeup arsenal, and I always recommend them to anyone looking for low-cost alternatives.
If you dress for it, you can have anything you want in life. Explain and express your thoughts.
When you look up who said it, any quote gains strength. In this case, Edith Head, an American costume designer who has won the most Academy Awards for Best Costume Design, said it, so it stands to reason that someone who was praised for bringing characters to life through dresses would understand the significance of the right dress. Personally, I believe that dressing appropriately for the occasion sends a number of social cues as soon as someone sees you, the least of which is that you take yourself, the occasion, and the company you’re in seriously.
When you keep this in mind, your outfit selection becomes an extension of your status, purpose, personality, and taste, rather than just colour, fit, or aesthetic. Unless they’re clearly not doing well, you’d rarely see a public figure dressed poorly. Being well-groomed and well-dressed should be a top priority for ordinary people as well, and not just for what other people think of you. It gives you a sense of confidence and control, and it helps you develop a winning mindset.
Any motivational line or statement for your fans and readers
“You can be anything you want to be.”
Many people have said this in various ways, but I believe it is the essence of my outlook and life philosophy. We get so many inputs from so many sources in our daily lives that it’s difficult to figure out what we really want, let alone go after it.
I believe it is then critical that we maintain a clear vision of what we want out of life. It can help you to sit down and talk to yourself about your goals; once you’ve defined them, you can go ahead and achieve them!